Tattoo removal with Nd: YAG Q-switched lasers can be painful because of the way the laser energy interacts with the skin and the tattoo pigment.
The laser emits short pulses of high-energy light that penetrate the skin and are absorbed by the tattoo pigment particles. This energy causes the pigment particles to break up into smaller fragments, which are then targeted by the body’s immune system and gradually removed.
However, this process can be painful because the laser energy heats up the skin around the tattoo as well, which can cause discomfort and even blistering or scarring in some cases. Additionally, the laser pulses can feel like small pinpricks or stinging sensations on the skin, which can be uncomfortable for some people.
The amount of pain experienced during tattoo removal can vary depending on factors such as the size and location of the tattoo, the colors used in the tattoo, and the individual’s pain tolerance. However, the pain can be managed through topical numbing creams or other pain relief.
Using a cold compress during tattoo removal with Nd: YAG Q-switched lasers can have several benefits, including:
- Pain relief: Cold compresses can help numb the treated area and reduce pain or discomfort during the laser treatment.
- Swelling reduction: The use of a cold compress after the laser treatment can help constrict blood vessels and reduce swelling or inflammation in the treated area.
- Reduced risk of blistering or scarring: Cold compresses can help cool the skin and reduce the risk of blistering or scarring from the laser treatment.
- Enhanced treatment results: Using a cold compress before and after the laser treatment can help improve the effectiveness of the treatment by minimizing heat damage to surrounding tissue and improving the penetration of the laser energy into the tattoo pigment particles.
- Improved comfort: Cold compresses can help make the laser treatment more comfortable for the patient by reducing heat or discomfort in the treated area.
In technical terms, using a cold compress during tattoo removal with Nd: YAG Q-switched lasers are referred to as cryotherapy. Cryotherapy works by causing vasoconstriction, which is the narrowing of blood vessels in the treated area. This helps reduce blood flow and inflammation, improving healing and reducing the risk of side effects.
Ask AW3 about our Frozen cooling device to help numb the skin during tattoo removal treatments.